2.1L turbo 16v

$7k is a TON of money.  But I do have SOME cash and want to do an upgrade of
some sort.  If I go the turbo way, can I do it in "installments?"  What does
the shortblock consist of that is different from a normal stroked 2.0-2.1L?
 Is it just low-compression pistons?  Or is it totally different--built up
for a turbo?

Could I theoretically just put the shortblock on my stock 16v?  What kind of
gains/losses would I experience?  @ How much of the $7k is this gonna cost?