Re: Moving the Battery

> Anyone done this?  Anyone seen this done?

Been there, done that.

> I think that the intercooler would fit better if I had the battery moved to
> the rear.  However, would I lose a NOTICABLE amount of voltage, due to the
> longer distance the current has to travel?

I tried moving the battery to the trunk; I designed my subbox to also hold
the battery, so I killed a few birds with one stone when I installed
everything.  To make a long story short, the voltage drop was unacceptable
in certain situations, and rather than install more cable I just moved it
back up front.  When the starter was hot, it was very reluctant to turn
over, and so I got stranded once in traffic (VERY not cool).  In your
situation you'd see more than just a weight distribution advantage, so it
would be worth it I guess.  Just make sure you use either a run of 2
guage, or 2 runs of 4 guage up to the starter.  And MAKE SURE YOU FUSE IT!
Install a Phoenix Gold or similar piece in the trunk with the battery, and
another one up front, rated for whatever amperage your alternator puts
out.  And you'll also want a sealed battery box vented outside (I used an
existing hole in my spare tire well).

> enclosure?  Where would you guys recommend I put this?  I'm thinking of
> putting it behind my passenger seat.  I don't really want to put it in the
> trunk because I have to put my rear seats down alot for my snowboard.

If you can't have it directly behind your back seats, how about in the
rear corner of the truck where it widens out?  It wouldn't impinge on
trunk space that way...Do you carry a spare tire?  If not you could cut
and drop a rectangular piece from there, then install the battery so that
the top was flush with the trunk floor.  There's a stereo shop in town
that's done this to a CRX.

-Riley McDowall
'87 16V Scirocco