Re: VW; drying up?

In a message dated 97-02-02 09:53:33 EST, vanambum@silyn.net (VanAm) writes:

<< Yes, actually I have driven a '92 325is.  My boss has one.  I
 honestly wasn't impressed.  I agree with you on the M3, tho.
 THAT is one helluva car as well as the M5, M6 and the 850Csi.
 I just don't think the 318 and newer 328 are worth their price.
 I don't see what's so special about them.  But the M3...I want
 one TOO!  :-)  I see these old people driving new M3's and just
 kills me.  Sorry if I offended you by using the word 'suckered'.
 I guess that was a crappy choice of words there.  >>

First of all, you did not offend me witht he word "suckered."  I just HAD to
put my *opinion* in there!!  It's law!  ;-)

Well, since it was a '92 that youo drove, aren't those the same bodystyle as
the orriginals?  If I remember correctly, I thought that '93 was the first
year for the new style.  But, I very well could be worng.

Also, the first year of the new bodystyle was not the best for it.  Over the
next year or two, the =y really revised the cars, and made one HELLUVA
performer!  Also, the car just looks so damn agressive!  (no, I'm not into
the car because of the looks, but they sure do help!!)

<<  What is your opinion of the VR6 Golf?  Imagine your mom's
Golf Sport with the 6?  Hmmm....   >>

The VR6 Golf is very fast.  BUT, for me to be hapy with it, I would HAVE to
change the tires and suspension to firm it up.  As on my Moms '95 Golf Sport,
it is just too soft.  I LOVE the power from that little 2.0, but when it
comes to handling, my '84 Scirocco will blow it away in the twisties
(especially now that I have fixed my problem of rear wheel bearings coming
loose...)  So, for me to be really happy with a new Golf, I would have to
make it handle as good, if not  BETTER than my Scirocco.

<<  Hey, how much does an 88 or 89 M3 go for these days in the US?
Us REAL enthusiasts should be able to afford one of those bad
boys, no? >>

I would figure they are affordable by now.  Probably about $10-13k?  I would
not be suprised.  A friend of mine used to have one until the dumb-ass pushed
the accelerator instead of the brake in a sudden emergency.  The car went
*SMUSH!!*  Too bad, it was a VERY sweet car!

Tim :)