For Mk.1 owner's eyes only :P

I need help, heh.

        I finished connecting up the hoses to my new heater core.
Unfortunately I found some very corroded metal pieces and no way of
replacing them on a Sunday.  Hope they hold out.  I now get very warm air
out of the center vent when using the vent setting but the heater setting
seems to produce very little heat.  Air comes out (not as much as from the
vents tho); it's just not very hot.  I remember my '81 S being warmer,
although that car didn't have air and also no center vents.  Is that the
reason?  Taking out the core was so much of a pain that I don't want to go
back in there, even for exploration.  So anyone have any ideas?

        While replacing my dash and speedo/odo unit, I noticed that there
are two lamp holes right below the high beam, charge, and directional
indicators.  They are both under red unmarked windows. Both are wired up to
the main harness.  Anyone know what these are for?  This leads me to:
        I've always been annoyed and worried that my steering wheel blocks
the view to the oil pressure warning lamp.  It's the kind of warning that I
want to be aware of RIGHT NOW.  After noticing the two empty lamp holders,
I added a wire from the positive terminal of the oil pressure lamp to a
lamp I put in one of the two open slots (after masking the copper foil
that's there with electrical tape) and now I have a secondary warning lamp
right in the middle of the dash where I can see it.  It seems to work,
meaning it lights up at startup and goes off when the "real" one does.
Anyone else done this or have a better way of doing it?

        I moved the oil temp, clock, and a voltmeter gauge into the radio
slot using a Zender adaptor.  Now I can actually see them.  Bad thing is
that there is no place for the radio.  The console is too narrow for a
stereo so for now my radio is hanging from wires in the passenger side
footwell.  My S has a different console which is wide enough to fit a
stereo but doesn't have the ashtray/lighter module since it's where the
center vents are in my present car.  Is there a wide console with the
lighter?  Where else can I put a radio?  I guess the glovebox is a
possibility although I'd like the keep it if possible?  Any suggestions
welcome.

As always, thanks. b---------