Re: Suspension Bushings

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Ilias Glavinas wrote:

> > My question is on poly bushings for the lower control arms and rear axle.
>
> I switched over to poly control arm bushings and the first thing you
> notice is the darn creaking noises they make. Stupid of me not to put
> some moly grease or something like that before I slid them in, although I
> am not sure that would have solved the problem 100%. The ride became a
> little bumpier but I also got a liiiiiittle better handling.
>
> I have heard some strange stories though about those poly bushings.
> Specifically that they don't simply wear out like the rubber ones do, but
> they simply crack and split in half. I saw at least 2-3 such posts over
> the net.

Poly bushings can be a "high maint." upgrade, but the pat-off can be
worthwhile. I would avoid the softer "red" and clear poly bushings
though.

The most durable bushings (non-stock that is) would either be the derlin
(see OPM Racing @ $90) or the super-nice sealed bearing bushings offered
by Shine Racing. These are road racing products and "reliablity" to a
road racer is subjective issue! I use the derlin / offset bushings and
have had no cracking problems and no "creaking" noises that can be heard
over the 2" unstricted pipe that I call an exhaust system :)

Check out the Shine Racing homepage or call OPM Racing. They can give
detailed info on either!

Harry

PS : Removing the stock rubber bushings can be a really pain in the ass!
DO NOT HAVE THEM PRESSED OUT, this can deform the control arm! My method
is to heat an ice pick (with a wooden handle) white hot. The hot ice-pick
will cut through the rubber bushing like butter.