Re: HELLO AND THANKS

johnag@gglbbs.com wrote:

> Hello everyone...My name is John A-G and am new to the list. I want to
> thank everyone for letting me eaves-drop on their Scirocco talk. I am
> an eleven-year VW user beginning with an A-1 Scirocco, than an A-2 Golf
> and currently using a 94 Jetta GL.  Yes, I am the poor guy to whom
> everyone so graciously gave suggestions on how to (successfully?)
> campaign the Jetta in H-Stock. I am very serious about doing my best in
> the Jetta. I know it is big and slow, but I really love the car.
>
> The suggestions that I have taken to heart and plan to implement by
> spring are:
>
> 1.     New front sway bar. The biggest commercial bar I can find is
> 25mm. Anyone know of anything larger?

Nope.  Maybe later you'll want to put 2 bars on instead of 1.  That'll
stiffen things up.

> 2.     New adjustable Konis

Good.  To save money, you might consider just replacing the fronts.  I
so far have been able to do pretty well with just front Koni's, though
my perfect setup would have them on the rear as well.

> 3.     Autocrossing Tires. Probably Yokohomas.

I campaigned for two years on them, and they will not help you be
competitive.  Spring for the BFG's in stock class, no matter what.  They
will give you added negative camber and have an asymetrical sidwall that
other tires do not.  That's just technospeak that means in stock class,
this is the tire to run.

> 4.     New K&N Air Filter

Good for a couple of ponies!

> 5.     Get rid of any extra weight (like emptying glove box--probably
> 10 lbs there; spare tire - both the car's and mine; etc.)

That's a given.

> My question now is this: I currently have a MOMO 350mm Monte Carlo
> Wheel. To stay in H-Stock, will I have to go back to the VW wheel?

This is a tricky one.  If the car had an airbag, you have to keep the
original wheel.  Otherwise a 350mm wheel comes out to be a couple of mm
short of the required 14 inches I believe your car requires.  I think
stock is 15 inch. (huge for a car with power steering IMHO)

> As all of you suggested, I am studying like mad. Reading all I can. Now
> that snow has fallen in Wisconsin, I am also practicing some controlled
> sliding through corners (in wide open parking lots late at night).
>
> Thank you everyone!

Jim Buck,
ES #99
1997 Solo II Points Champion,