Re: Fwd: Engine Swaps..cams q'

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997 00:29:16 +0000 "Ryan Schuermann" <rts@phoenix.net>
writes:
>anyone can give me first hand experience..? What's the power and
>range difference between the G-grind and the 272deg cam in a 1.8L
>JH solid lifter? I've been told the G gives some mid and upper
>without robbing the low end too much, will the 272 make my low end
>suck? All i've done so far is the audi5000 tbody and custom 3" power
>pipe. I want to get an exhaust and cam soon.
>
>Ryan

If your wife is driving the car, you will probably want to go no more
than the G grind. The 272 will give a somewhat lumpy idle on an
unbalanced motor and she WILL complain. (Unless she's really into the
vibrato that a 272 can give...) With the stock motor, the G-grind will
probably be the best route.
The potterman had the 272 in his Scirocco but he's also got a balanced
bottom end and a PP head that takes full advantage to that cam. it idles
smoother than my Scirocco does with the port matched head and stock
bottom end.
I had a G-grind in my scirocco (Until I learned it was illegal in DSP)
and the mid and top end was noticeably better. Expect a 8-10hp gain on
the top end. I don't have numbers for you on the 272 but I don't think
you will get the most out of it unless you have the head PP'd.
Anyways, HTH.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and