RE: Engine Swaps

Hi James -

Almost exactly a year ago, I swapped the engine in my 82 Scirocco, (A
Series II, but pretty much the same 'guts' as yours - you do have fuel
injection, right? If not, disregard this entire message... I know nothing
about carbs...) and what I went with was the 1.8l JH engine out of an 88
Cabriolet. It's got the Hydraulic head, but is still the low compression
engine... This was a straight forward, as easy as it gets kind of swap. The
only small troubles that I ran into was the wiring harness for my Hall
sender needed to be swapped with one out of a later year, and I upgraded to
the Cabriolet's flywheel. Prior to this swap, the most mechanically
advanced thing that I had tried was swapping a cam in my Jetta. (Also 1.8
8v)

I have considered shaving the head and installing a knock sensor, but
haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm pretty much one of the 'ninnies' on
the list, who comes running to the gurus here on a regular basis to bail me
out when I'm in over my head. If you haven't figured out who they are yet,
you will soon!

As a bonus to me, I just figured out that the engine that I installed came
with the oil pressure sending unit that the dealer wants $42 for. So now I
have an oil temp gauge for $5!!! (Wiring and light extra, but not much
extra...)

Merry Merry!

Greg
82 1.8 8v Scirocco