Fwd: Engine Swaps

Seasons Greetings All...

For those of you who have swapped engines in a Series I Scirocco...or simply
have any insight:   Any advice on what to replace my stock 1.6l (though
Bentley says 1.5l) with?   Go easy on me here...I'm thinking a 1.8l solid
lifter via an early GTI would be fairly straight forward...but what about
going to a higher compression, hydraulic-type 1.8l out of a later
A2?...Potential problems with ignition (knock sensors, etc.), fuel injectors,
oil pump, etc???....Any advice and/or links would be very much appreciated.

James

1978 Scirocco