Found a decent Scirocco, but...

...it's automatic.  <cringe>  It's a gold 81 in good shape.  My question
is how hard would it be to convert to 5 speed?    I had an 81 in Germany
with a 1.8 and 5 speed and that car was *so* fun, so I'd probably put in
a 1.8 too at the same time I change the auto.  The automatic thing
really sucks.  My mother had an 80 with the automatic about 8-9 years
ago and it was rather gutless.   The guy is asking $1000 for it.  I'll
probably go look at it tomorrow.  He was asking $1500 for it a couple
weeks ago so he must be getting desperate to sell.  Maybe I'll offer
$700 and see what happens.  I'm looking at this as an opportunity for me
to learn to fix my own cars.  But if putting in a 5 speed is too much of
a PITA, I don't think I'll go for it.  Any and all comments/suggestions
are welcome!  Thanks!  I've been Sciroccoless for 7 months now and this
is the first decent Scirocco I've looked at since I've been in this
VW-thrashing state of Utah.

-Mike
92 GTI 16V
95 GTI VR6