Re: Found a decent Scirocco, but...

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 02:07:04 -0700 kiMike <kimike@burgoyne.com> writes:
>...it's automatic.  <cringe>  It's a gold 81 in good shape.  My question
>is how hard would it be to convert to 5 speed?    I had an 81 in Germany
>with a 1.8 and 5 speed and that car was *so* fun, so I'd probably put in
>a 1.8 too at the same time I change the auto.  The automatic thing
>really sucks.  My mother had an 80 with the automatic about 8-9 years
>ago and it was rather gutless.   The guy is asking $1000 for it.  I'll
>probably go look at it tomorrow.  He was asking $1500 for it a couple
>weeks ago so he must be getting desperate to sell.  Maybe I'll offer
>$700 and see what happens.  I'm looking at this as an opportunity for me
>to learn to fix my own cars.  But if putting in a 5 speed is too much of
>a PITA, I don't think I'll go for it.  Any and all comments/suggestions
>are welcome!  Thanks!  I've been Sciroccoless for 7 months now and this
>is the first decent Scirocco I've looked at since I've been in this
>VW-thrashing state of Utah.
>
>-Mike
>92 GTI 16V
>95 GTI VR6

If you have everything to strip out of a manual car, no problem.
Althought you might want to buy a NEW shifter and bushings. The pedal
assy and most of the shifter assy should easily swap into your car.

New things to buy:
Shifter.
shifter bushings.
clutch cable.
clutch.
pressure plate.
clutch disk.
tranny seals.
tranny fluid.

Things that you can recycle from a junk yard:
Tranny
shifter assy that mounts to the body (near the downpipe)
Id say all the shifter linkage from the tranny levers to the rod that
goes to the underside boot, including the boot.
pedal assy.

Anything else??

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and