8v engine performance

Hey guys,
I've decided I need to come up with an 8v engine that will motorvate my
VW a little faster...  wondered if anybody had a good combination of
parts.  I want lots of torque, don't want to have to rev the engine to
6,000 rpm just to make a little power.

Here's what I have availabe:

Complete running '83 GTi
cylinder head, intake, and throttle body from '86 GTi
all kinds of 16v parts (throttle body, fuel distributor, etc)

I figured I'd use the lower end from the '83 GTi, if in good condition
upon removal and inspection.  I don't want to mess with a knock sensor
if I can help it.
This engine will be taking the place of the stock 1.7L in my '82 pickup
(I know, I know, not a Scirocco) and I'll probably use the close-ratio 5
speed from my '87 16v Scirocco parts car if I can.

Any and all ideas, suggestions, etc are welcomed and appreciated!
Thanks

John

'87 16v Scirocco
'83 GTi