Re: Wheel size revisited

---Iain Mannix  wrote:

> PaulK wrote...
>
> >STOP, check the ET, the Corrodo wheels are 40 or 42 mm offeset as
> >opposed to the Scirocco's 38mm.
>
> 2-4mm is not _that_ much:).
>
>  Confirm this by looking at the rims
> >ET.  This will move the wheel to the 'inside' of the car which is 1)
> >worse for your handling,
>
> Why is this worse for handling?  Not saying it is, not saying it
is'nt -
> just curious.

   You narrow your track sir....  Wider is better--no?  Generally
speaking you want to move your wheels to the outside rather than the
inside.

> >2) will probably rub your strut assembly.
>
> >With a 15" which is most likly 7" wide you would be best off with a
> >35/36mm offset.
>
> See, this is why I like backspacing.  Offset is a PITA.  Backspacing
is
> simple - 14x6" with 5" backspace.  Backspace is the distance from
the inner
> lip of the wheel to the mounting surface.  Simple.  Offset sucks -
35mm
> offset on a 6 or 7" wheel means different things, whereas 5"
backspacing is
> 5" backspacing - no matter how wide the wheel.  Then, with all this
euro
> crap ET phone home offset skirt hiking stuff, in millimeters, well,
gee it
> gets fun figuring out what you need - "if my wheel is 6" wide and I
have
> 34mm offset, and I want a 7" wide wheel, what offset do I need?
Would I
> like fries with that?"
>
> Aargh.  Pain in the butt.  Backspacing.  Simple.  5" works on A1s.
Ahhhh.

  I suppose, but for use metric loving people :-) I kinda like the
offset thing.  Wish I could get the stock teardrops in a 34mm offset.
That would line up the wheel/tire with the fender lip w/205.55.14,
still keeping it legal in E-Stock.  (i.e. it wouldn't be past the
fender, but would not be too tucked in the wheel well.

==
-Paul
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan
90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v