Re: My new engine

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:25:55 +0000 dmahoney@triware.nf.ca writes:

>1: The place up close to the head where the serial number or id
>number is , Is that the only place to identify my engine? I don' t
>think I'll be able to read the numbers cuz its just plain worn off.

Its gonna be at the top of the block right behind the distributor. The
numbers don't (or should'nt) wear off so you might need to take a
flashlight at an angle to see the numbers stamped into the block.
(Unless he or somebody purposely removed the numbers. The police have a
kit that can reveal the numbers if you really want to know what it is.)

>2. The knock sensor is on the block between cyl 1 & 2 right??

That's where it mounts, yes.

>3. This engine was sitting up for a bout 2 years, The guy I bought it
>from, kept it oiled and turned it over often with a socket on the
>crank.  After removing the head, and finding the valves in great
>shape, ( only 90 000 KM ) Do I or should I replace any seals, gaskets
>rebuild the head etc.
>
>Thanks
>Dave

Unless he is a close personal friend, believe nothing and have the
mindset that it sat in the rain, outside for the last 2 years and he
didn't crank anything.
Rebuild the head. Might as well, since its out of the car. You might as
well do it all. Re ring it and put in new bearings and a NEW oil pump at
least. That should give you a high mileager! Replace ALL of the seals.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and