Re: engine vintage

I would appreciate any leads on tracking an engine number--I just acquired
an '82 Scirocco with a GTI engine of unknown vintage  and have been scouring
the Net and Haynes manuals trying to find the year (since it was missing the
alternator belt and the dipstick :O  when I got it.

Any links you folks can suggest?

# is          O 2 6 T 0 3 3 7 3 G
 first digit might be: letter O

most of the other engine designations I have seen for VW s have two letters
at the front, so this is weird

any sources for used small parts, e.g dipsticks (oh my god)

thanks Tom
Tom Lambrecht  hideo@concentric.net