Re: To kill a mocking dash

At 00:00 12/15/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>I strongly urge you NOT to take your car to this dealer for anything,
>>I don't know for sure if they are jerks or not,
>
>	.... or, as per *my* wonderful experience, you can spend months forming an
>elaborate relationship with your small local VW shop and JUST when you
>finally start to trust them.... they GET YOU.  Bastards.  :@
>
>			Jason the disappointed.

The only work I let someone else perform is that which I don't have the
equipment for.

Wheel mounting and balancing (I have mounted tires by hand)
Valve work (don't have the grinder any more)
Hot tanking (messy!)
Sandblasting (ditto)
Dipping whole body parts
Wheel alignment (maybe not for much longer..)

You get the idea - if you can learn to do the work yourself, you don't have
to worry about how the job was done.

I once took a set of late Bus heads to the machine shop I had been using for
years with good results. I told them to check everything before resuing any
parts, as the heads had been sitting for years. Especially the valve springs.

The moke told me he had checked the springs and all was well. 2000 miles
later, an exhaust spring broke, and dropped the valve. The head and cylinder
were ruined.

Turned out he has sandblasted the OLD springs to remove rust. Rust causes
stress cracking in parts like springs. If he had used a spring tester, they
would have tested weak due to the cracks. He did grind another set for me
for free, as repayment.

Now, all that shop does for me is the GRINDING. I rebuild the heads
myself... If I ever find another grinder, he will lose that job, too.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (Katy's car now)
'58 Ghia Convert