Re: Welding-Up The Dif.

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997 20:28:03 -0600 "H. Jones" <hjones1@airmail.net>
writes:
>Has anyone on the list welded-up  (full-lock) their differential?
>Do you know of any shops / tuners who do this mod? I have the spare
gearbox
>and have no reservations about disassembly / assembly, I just want some
>advice on exactly how to weld her up.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Harry

First, I have never done this on a VW diff.

But I do know that anybody with a TIG welder can do this mod for you. Its
quite simple really, you remove the diff and weld up all the spider gears
together so the differential is welded into one solid piece. The only
problem's with doing this is you run the risk of making the diff very
unbalanced AND you run the risk of snapping the diff and the pieces
getting into the gearing and essentially ruining the tranny. That's
pretty rare tho, FWIW.

I will say this, the "prettier" it looks, the better balanced it will be.

That sounds funny maybe but its what I learned in the years of my
funnycar drag racing days. We would weld the crap out of our diff and
then go out and break it. Come back to the shop, put in another one and
it was all on how it gets welded. Granted, your not gonna put 1000hp to
the diff so it doesn't have to be that strong but it still needs to be
done right. Just have your welder put a good solid bead along both gears,
all the way around. There should be about 4 good weldable spots on the
diff.

HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and