Re: Welding-Up The Dif.

Finally a real racing question!  :^)

We have welded diffs in the dirt track Sciroccos.  It isn't hard,
just follow the Bentley for tranny dissasambly.  We use 4-speed gear
boxes so we don't have to deal with the extra housing on the fifth
gear.

Once you split the housing apart, the weld job is a striaght forward
no brainer.  Just grind your welds so there is no splatter or high
spots that may rub once assembled.

NOW FOR SOME OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unless you are running dirt, I would not recommend this mod.  The
welded diff puts an incredible strain on the CV joints in slow
corners.  I broke SIX CV's this season, all during low speed
cornering, meaning I broke all of them in paddock and stagging.
Under power, one of the wheels will slide in the dirt releasing the
pressure of the cornering.  We run a good stagger up front, so the
effect of the rotational difference also builds to that pressure.

Our rules do not allow for the upgrade to VR6 CV's, a mod I would
recommend if you can.  If you are running asphalt, I would think hard
before welding the diff.
Ken Buck
Philadelphia Region SCCA Solo II Chairman
DSP 79 VW Scirocco- 94,96,97 DSP Regional Champ
86 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
79 VW Scirocco rusty bucket daily driver
phillyscca@enter.net
Safety First, Fun Second, Winning a distant Third