Re: Welding-Up The Dif.

At 8:32 PM +0004 12/09/1997, Ken Buck wrote:
>Finally a real racing question!  :^)
>
>We have welded diffs in the dirt track Sciroccos.

Dirt track is "real racing?"  (some smiley emoticon to imply that I am kidding)

>NOW FOR SOME OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>Unless you are running dirt, I would not recommend this mod.

AFAIK, it is a pretty popular thing on roadcourses - I've heard of several
people doing this.

Aside from breakage of various drive parts, I hear that this also makes the
car understeer like a pig on pavement, except in big, fast stuff.  I had a
welded rear axle on my Jeep, and I am surprised I never broke anything, and
even that made it push a bit on pavement, unless I broke the rear inside
wheel free.  I guess if you ran a big front swaybar to help spin the
inside(which would of course spin the outside, letting you accelerate), it
could work.  Definetly not an autocross thing, from what I am told and what
I can envision.  Anyhow.....thought I'd share, I'm a pal.

I.Mannix