Re: BFG R1 Team T/A ???

>Iain Mannix wrote:
>
>> Hey Paul - the Team TA stuff is a bit wierd, if you ask me.  You call
>> 800-race-bfg to get on the "Team," which is simple, free.  You get a
>> newsletter, free stickers at events, you're signed up for contingency
>> cash(at National Tours, Divisionals and Pros, and of course, Nationals),
>>eh, whatever.
>
>Hey Mannix, where did you win your $100 bucks? Divisionals?  ProSoloII?

Divisionals.  I could probably get cash at a Tour if I get lucky, but we
shall see.  I lied - only won $50, but got my Tour entry paid for,
collected $95 this year, but only $50 was BFG money(worked the Tour school
in Denver this year, they pay your entry to do that).  Just looked, knew I
"made" $100(95) in 97, but could not remember for the life of me where the
second half(45) came from.

>Just curious.  Hey all you autocrossers out there (you know who you
>are)...what would you think about automakers getting contingency
>programs going?

Some do have contingincies already, um, dunno, say Nology had something
going through MR2 Performance Products this year, but that was not enough
to make me buy Nology wires.  Mazda, Dodge and BMW already have
contingincies, but the competition is pretty fierce there.

 Any ideas on how you would put your "perfect program"
>together?

If I were an automaker?  I'd pay for top finishes at a Tour, Pro or
Divisional(mabye div, maybe not - Divisionals vary widely in
attendance/competition).  Only pay for new cars, say, for VW, GolfIII, GTI
VR6, etc - no sense in paying contingencies for cars they no longer make.
VW's best autocross car currently, IMHO, is the HS Golf.  The 4 cylinder
GTI is not(IMHO) competitive in ES, the Corrado(for comparison) is not
competitive in GS, neither is the GTI.  I do wonder, though, how
competitive it would become if they offered cash and the right people
bought them - I don't think they will, because no one seems to think the
GTI VR6 is going to have a chance in hell against the MX6.  Maybe, I guess,
but if I were VW, I would not put my money on it.  If they were to put
money on Rabbits/Sciroccos/A2s, I'd be happy, but I can't see that
happening - they're not so competitive anymore in ES(sorry, but the fastest
2.0 16v was 30th out of 31 at Nationals or something like that, the
Celicas, Neons and (now)Saturns are forces to be reckoned with), with the
RX3 out of DSP, they will come closer to the top, but it'll be an upset if
one wins in 98(I could see it happening, but it would be a BIG surprise,
and no one in their right mind is going to put contingencies on such a slim
possibility, IMHO).  CSP?  Right.  ASP(Corrado)?  Bwahahaha. I don't know.
I'm not optimistic, but if it happened, I'd be into it. Dunno.  I'd like to
see more smaller product contingencies - Koni, wheels, maybe Neuspeed and
others - I'd guess this would be a viable advertising tool for various
manufacturers, as it would not cost too much, but then again, most of these
"tuner" companies are not all about race/autocross type stuff.  I get the
impression they sell more headlight covers than race suspension stuff, oh
well....

I.Mannix