Re: BFG R1 Team T/A ???

>Even though it is winter I am thinking ahead to next seasons Auto-X.
>I went over to Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com to check out the BFG
>R1 tires.  In the listing it mentions that "customers must be Team T/A
>members" ????
>
>Can anyone give me insight into what that means?
>
>Thanks

Hey Paul - the Team TA stuff is a bit wierd, if you ask me.  You call
800-race-bfg to get on the "Team," which is simple, free.  You get a
newsletter, free stickers at events, you're signed up for contingency
cash(at National Tours, Divisionals and Pros, and of course, Nationals),
eh, whatever.  I buy my R1s from a tire shop locally, who makes no money on
them - dealers have to sell the R1 at the same price BFG sells them to TA
members, and they don't make much(if any) on each tire - finding a tire
shop which will order them is hard.  If you're a TA member(no reason not to
be if you autocross/roadrace and use their tires), you call BFG and order
on the phone - they'll ship to your house, or if you know you'll need a set
at a Tour or Pro, you can arrange to have them put on the truck & get them
mounted on the site.  For buying them from my tire shop, I have never been
asked for my TA card, they don't seem to care.  Automotive Performance
Warehouses, the "world's largest BFG dealer with the Euro(crap) TA....."
supposedly "cannot" get them.  I got one to admit that they "probably
could, but would'nt make money on them."  If you want a set, they should
cost the same whether you get them from Tire Rack(but plus shipping),
BFG(free shipping if you can wait til a Tour) or your local tire shop(no
shipping, but cost of mounting, although it might be hard finding a tire
shop which is willing to order a tire that they can't make money on - I
know of two on the Front Range, one in Boulder, one in Colorado Springs.
Maybe all Discount Tires can get them, don't know).  Great tire, the TA
thing is sorta stupid(but I have pocketed $100 from it, no complaints), and
the newsletter is sometimes informative.  Best of luck!

I.Mannix(makes me sick to think of how much I have spent on tires....)