Re: Welding-Up The Dif.

At 8:32 PM +0004 12/09/1997, Ken Buck wrote:
>Finally a real racing question!  :^)
>
>We have welded diffs in the dirt track Sciroccos.

IMHO welded diffs can work but you have to be going extremely fast on a
roadcourse otherwise you will beat the crap out of yourself trying to drive on
a slower course (more effort to turn the wheel) especially if you have a
smaller diameter steering wheel.  A quaiffe is a good way to go - but very
expensive.
I have driven an MKII ITB at Road America with a welded diff for an enduro and
didnt have any problems winning the race, but in the slow speed corners in
third gear in the meat of the torque band if you jump on the gas the wheel
wants to come out of your hands...and if the car is not set up right it will
push badly.
In my ITB MKII I have an open diff and regularly beat cars with limited slips
and welded ones.  If your car is stiff enough in the front you may not have a
problem.  I have 400 pound springs, cut shock tubes and a 25mm bar with no
wheel spin.  HTH
hugh charvat