Re: Welding-Up The Dif.

<< What spring rate do you use in the rear?  Swaybar?  What inserts did you
 use?  How much did you cut out of your strut tubes?  Sorry for all the
 questions, but in the search for more front travel, many people I talk to
 say "don't know, when we cut strut tubes, we use Rabbit inserts, as they
 are short."  Great:).  Anyhow, just out of curiosity, wondering, etc.
 Thanks!

This topic should generate some interesting posts.
Spring rate in the rear is 425 and a 28mm bar, front tubes cut about 3/4"
using MR2 rear inserts (tokiko's -did I spell that right??) with revalved
bilstiens in the rear.  The spring lengths are different also from front to
rear.  The fronts are shorter by about an inch (we racers never like to be too
specific with our secrets, do we ;)
I have driven other cars with welded diffs that handled just fine.  To the
point of some other members though, the more slippery the surface, the more
push with the welded diff.  But on a dry surface with a 1.8 JH its no problem.
Maybe a VR6 or a good 16V would be different due to the added horsepower and
torque.  I would not weld the diff in my 2.0L 16V Jetta.
Hugh Charvat