Re: strut bearing wierdness

On Mon, 8 Dec 97 02:10:25 -0500 Greg Schilhab <gschil@orthomed.org>
writes:

>Weird. After a 250 mile run on the highway on the weekend the crazy
>steering wheel vibration at idle has suddenly gone away! The vibration
is
>more around the passenger footwell area now, and seems to be coming
right
>from the shock tower area itself. Maybe doing 100 mph over some hairy
>sections of highway packed down the already dead right bearing and
killed
>this particular effect. Strange beast, the scirocco.

Weird indeed.
It really sounds like you might have a loose motor mount. (rear in
particular.) Had there also developed a difficulty in shifting, or has
shifting gotten easier?? That would indicate a loose rear motor mount.
(Not just the mount itself but also the bracket to the tranny, check it
all out.)
It also sounds like the vibration might be from an exhaust piece touching
something. See if your exhaust system is clear from contact, especially
in the downpipe section of the exhaust.

>So what, after all, is the function of a strut bearing?
>greg

Its to strut the bearings around to attract a mate so we can produce new
bearings and sell them for profit...... couldn't refuse and I know, it
sucked.
OK, heres my definition:
The strut bearing is actually holding down 2 jobs. First and foremost,
the bearing allows you to turn the wheel. it's a pivot point,
essentially. Secondly, its a bushing for the top of the strut. Without it
every single grain of dirt you drove over would be transmitted through
the chassis. Its amazing how much dampening those little worthless
bushings do. They also don't last long.
Hey Mannix, you got any kind of bushing on your camber plates??
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and