Re: My driver's side door.

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:46:43 -0700 The FishWitch <fishwitch@tcsn.net>
writes:
>having a bit of trouble with the driver's door... such as "it won't
>open." i don't think it's the standard "my vw's handle is starting to
stick"
>problem... i am pretty sure the mechanism is not releasing the latch
>at the post. since i cannot take the inside door panel off because i
can't
>get the door open, what options do i have short of hacksawing the post
off,
>opening the door and then putting the post back on somehow?

Lemme get this all straight. The door IS unlocked? (you can hear the
lever moving in the door?)
Both door handles wont open the door? (Inside or outside.)

Eww, don't damage anything yet! Do you have anyway to get and use a
slim-jim? I kinda doubt it would work but its worth a shot. It sounds
like the rectangular box which latched the door has broken the door latch
levers. If this is the case then my sympathies go out to you!

How about rolling down the window and looking down at the levers. Can you
see if there is anything broken or fallen off? What about depressing the
lever that way? (You'll need something long.)
You may want to remove the passenger side door pannel to familiarise
yourself with the inner workings if this is something new to you.

The only other way that I know of would to be to pry (I can't believe im
telling someone to do this.) a screwdriver under the door handle and pry
open the door. It will damage the door a little. I hope you don't have to
use this route.
HTH!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi