Re: My driver's side door.

Opening a stuck door:

Since the mechanisms are all pretty much the same over the years (from
what I've seen laying around the yards) your fix should be pretty similar
to what I had to to with my '86 Jetta's rear door after someone rearended
me and jammed the lock.

If you pry away the rubber insulation/weather seal near the area of the
lock mechanism you should be able to see the mechanism.

Use a screwdriver and hammer on the lower part of the catch until it sinks
into the lock. You might have to whack it pretty hard. Make sure it sinks
down past the post, and the door should simply push open.

Then figger out why it's not working. :)

Good luck!

I originally got my info from: ftp.lap.umd.edu/LAP/Public/vw_archives

~C
'84 Scirocco

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, The FishWitch wrote:

|having a bit of trouble with the driver's door... such as "it won't open."
|i don't think it's the standard "my vw's handle is starting to stick"
|problem... i am pretty sure the mechanism is not releasing the latch at the
|post. since i cannot take the inside door panel off because i can't get the
|door open, what options do i have short of hacksawing the post off, opening
|the door and then putting the post back on somehow?
|
|							Daniel
|I never make mistakes. Nope, not me. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
|--
|To subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to scirocco-L-request@privateI.com,
|with your request (subscribe, unsubscribe) in the BODY of the message.

  Christopher Mende        ICEMT @ Iowa State Uni
  Home: (515) 292-6658     Office: (515) 294-6738     "One, two, three!"
  bayern.me.iastate.edu    www.icemt.iastate.edu