Re: My driver's side door.

At 07:46 8/15/97 -0700, you wrote:
>having a bit of trouble with the driver's door... such as "it won't open."
>i don't think it's the standard "my vw's handle is starting to stick"
>problem... i am pretty sure the mechanism is not releasing the latch at the
>post. since i cannot take the inside door panel off because i can't get the
>door open, what options do i have short of hacksawing the post off, opening
>the door and then putting the post back on somehow?
>
>							Daniel
>I never make mistakes. Nope, not me. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.

A friend's Jetta had this happen on BOTH rear doors - I got the rear seat
out and managed to muscle the door panel off one side (small damage where
the screws went through), and found the latch itself was frozen. About two
spray cans of WD-40 through the handle of the other door (using an extension
tube) and some cursing later I was able to free the other side without going
inside. Lube the crap out of the mechanism after a good cleaning to prevent
recuurence. The handles were stuck with the triggers pulled in on his, but
the latches were also froze up.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (new paint!)