Re: Emissions

At 10:29 8/15/97 EST, you wrote:
>     Hypothetically speaking.  If I were converting my 16v to a full race
>     car, non-street legal, would removing all emission controls be good or
>     bad.  By that I mean, was the engine designed to operate in lieu of
>     these restrictions, and removing them potentially do more harm than
>     good.
>
>     Also, what I am getting at is a simplified engine/engine compartment,
>     no charcole canister, and direct fuel tank venting.  Taking a
>     minimilistic approach what are the minimum devices needed to make a VW
>     1.8 16v run great?  I grew up working on the Air Cooled VW's where all
>     you need is fuel and spark.  How simplified can I go on Fuel injected
>     CIS-E VW?
>
>     BTW, I once saw a 16v Scirocco with side draft carberators.  How would
>     something like this run?
>
>     Just curious,
>     -Paul
>     90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v (for sale)
>     87 Scirocco 16v
>     87 Jetta GLi
>     63 Bug

My experience is that most pollution controls help engine efficiency these
days, with the exception of EGR and the catalyst. These controls either
reduce the peak pressure (temperature) in the cylinder, or restrict exhaust,
so removing them should improve performance. Under no circumstances would I
remove the knock sensor!!

A proper carb setup will produce lots of power at the expense of lots of
pollution and fairly bad mileage - but if you want to GO, carbs are a
relatively cheap way to...but they have problems with altitude - you would
nned to re-jet if you are much higher or lower than where you initially set
them up. One place modern injection is MUCH better.

An outfit in California (C B Performance) makes a performance injection
system for air cooled engines that is supposed to scream - it includes a
control panel that the driver can tweak the engine from while driving. $$$.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (new paint!)
'58 Ghia Convert