RE: Emissions

On Friday, August 15, 1997 8:29 AM, Paul Krucke
[SMTP:pkrucke@logistics.calibersys.com] wrote:
>      Hypothetically speaking.  If I were converting my 16v to a full race
>      car, non-street legal, would removing all emission controls be good or
>      bad.  By that I mean, was the engine designed to operate in lieu of
>      these restrictions, and removing them potentially do more harm than
>      good.

There isn't much on a 16V in the way of emissions control that is worth
removing for performance reasons other than the catalytic converter.  Sure
there are the OXS sensor and evaporative emissions controls, but they don't
really hinder performance.  You can certainly lose the cat without hurting
anything other than the atmosphere (heh).

>      Also, what I am getting at is a simplified engine/engine compartment,
>      no charcole canister, and direct fuel tank venting.  Taking a
>      minimilistic approach what are the minimum devices needed to make a VW
>      1.8 16v run great?  I grew up working on the Air Cooled VW's where all
>      you need is fuel and spark.  How simplified can I go on Fuel injected
>      CIS-E VW?

You can remove the charcoal canisters and the other crap if you just despise
it all and want a small reduction weight.  I don't think it'll affect the
fuel injection at all as long as you plug up or re-route the disconnected
vacuum lines properly.

>      BTW, I once saw a 16v Scirocco with side draft carberators.  How would
>      something like this run?

There are limits to what the KE-Jetronic fuel injection can deliver, although
where those limits are is debatable.  Going to carbs would only be worthwhile
if you exceeded the capacity of the stock fuel injection (which is probably
good for 160+ hp or so), IMHO.  (I suppose I should confess that I am fond of
fuel injection and biased against carbs for a number of reasons.)

-Bradley T. Peet * http://effervescent.com/btp/vw.html *
1986 Scirocco 16V 2.0 liter
1987 Quantum Syncro Wagon (for sale, kinda)