RE: CV Boot Questions

Keep in mind that installing a new boot is just as much work as replacing the
CV joint because you must remove the CVJ from the shaft in order to get the
boot on.  (Of course, there are those "split style" CV boots, but I'd never
use one.)

Any tear in a CV boot will allow contamination of the CVJ, requiring you to
remove the CVJ, inspect it for wear or damage, clean it out thoroughly, and
re-grease it before re-installing it.

If the contamination is minimal and you're inclined to do the labor yourself,
it'd be much cheaper (under $20) to get a new boot kit then remove and clean
the CVJ, etc.  If the CVJ requires replacement ($65 to $85), you might just
want to get a whole rebuilt driveshaft ($135-$150) and save yourself some
time (labor).

I'm guestimating at the prices.  Anyone that knows of the best quality,
lowest cost vendor for these parts feel free to chime in.

Good luck.

-Bradley T. Peet * http://effervescent.com/btp/vw.html *
1986 Scirocco 16V 2.0 liter
1987 Quantum Syncro Wagon (for sale, kinda)