Re: Fuldas and more

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:26:49 -0400 joshua14@juno.com writes:

>On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:51:06 -0600 "kimike@burgoyne.com"
><kimike@burgoyne.com> writes:
>>Someone asked about Fuldas...beware that they made by Good Year in
>>Koeln
>>(I think), Germany.  So if you like GoodYears...YEK!!  I had them
>>on an 83 Audi Coupe when I lived there and they were terrible...like,
>>um..Good Year.
>>

>What is it with GoodYear?  Everyone that I know that has much road
>experience has hated GoodYear.  From the input  I've heard I will
>never buy a set of them, but I would like to know what goes wrong with
>them or if they handle like crap.  I run Continental conti-sport ch-90
> I've had really know problem with them but the size I got 195-60 on
>14in. rim scrubs the inside of the wheel well when I make deep turns.

I think Goodyear makes a good Nascar and Indy tire, but thats about it. I
dunno about the passenger car tires they make, not my area of specialty.
There are just too many tires out there
that are much better than anything that Goodyear can put on the street
for the money. (Im talking about the small performance tire market, you
know, -->US<--.)

If your making hard turns and your rubbing the tire, you need to either,
A) check your allignment. B) replace/upgrade your shocks/struts. C)
Possibly add swaybars? D) Replace/upgrade springs? E) slow your ass down
in the turns! :)

Heh! it sounds like its just a soft suspension problem. That size tire
should work fine. (AFIAK)

>Ah..speaking of wheel problems...when I'm driving pretty hard and make
>a hard turn to the left I feel what I think is the right tire
>straighening out a bit.  Could this be a tie-rod, because I just
>changed both sides not to long ago.  Could it be the ball joint?  It's
>a little un-nerving.

Could it be understeer? If the ball joint were loose enough to straighten
out while in a turn, it sure as hell should be doing some other wierd
things while driving around town or at freeway speeds.
Get under the car and yank on a few items and see if you can feel
anything loose. (including wheel bearings!)
HTH!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi