Re: wheels, gaskets

On Thu, 14 Aug 97 03:32:25 UT "Jeff Wheeler" <j_dubbya@msn.com> writes:
>I noticed the wheels on a fellow employee's Audi 4000 (looked like an
>'86 or so; flush headlamps and whatnot) as I left work today, and it
occurred
>to me that they might look dandy on my '82 Mk.II.  I recalled that the
4000
>was related to the Quantum, and the Quantum used to sport the same 14"
>wheels as the A1 GTI in some applications, so the hub and bolt pattern
and
>offset ought to be compatible, no?  They're the multi-thin-spoke
Ronal-looking type
>with a warm silver finish (could just need washing!).  Any caveats?

Only one. Some Audi wheels have the bolt patterm of 4X100mm (like ours
are) and others are 4X108mm. Guess which one we cant use? Thats right.
Now as far as the wheels your looking at, ( I think they're quite nice
myself! ) just measure. If your not sure how to do it, first measure your
wheels (Either way, diagonally or accross) and use that as your
guideline.
The Audi wheels are the same hub size and the wheel offset works too.
FYI.

>Also, I need new gaskets for my door handles and hatch lock.  Any of
>you folks in the parts biz able to supply this sort of thing?

Maybe the Potterman at Virtual World or Mark at AAB will send you a
private e-mail helping you out?? Maybe.

>Finally, just how foolish was I to purchase and install a no-name,
>Israeli-manufactured fuel filter from the local Advance Auto?
>
>Thanks, all!

The only thing you should ever buy that is Israeli-manufactured would be
the Desert Eagle. (preferably the .40 or .50 cal, Yah baby!)

  But thats nothing to do with cars! The reality of it is the filter will
probably work just fine. I like to know that what I have in my car is
either VW recomended or ive got some info saying this item has a good
reputation for good servive and NO failure rates.

Parts stores like "Advance Auto", "Kragen", "Chief", "Pep Boys" and the
like tend to sell whats cheapest. Not always cheap in price but
definately cheap in quality IMHO.
For my piece of mind I have mostly all VW parts in my Scirocco that ive
gotten then thru the Potterman. (Works for me.)

I guess its a matter of how important it is to you to have the parts and
also can you afford to pay a little more for it? (I know I cant afford it
but I do it anyways!<G>Its my baby.)

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi