Re: Wear and tear items

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 20:54:23 -0400 MIKE <lerb@redrose.net> writes:
>      I purchased a 83 rocco two months ago and i am finally getting
>the chance to start to fix it up. One problem it has is that the struts
>and strut bearings are shot (when i say shot i mean shot!!). I was
>wondering other than stress onto the car itself would there be any long
term
>wear on the car if those part where bad for a long time ( i have no idea
how
>long they were bad from the previous owner). Judging on how much stuff
is
>rigged in the car and not done correctly i would say awhile. He told me
when
>i bought it that it was going to be $500 to inspect it. Everything is
>rigged down to the seats in the back (By the way anyone have extra
seatbelts
>for the back? child seat does not look good in the front). I was not
sure
>if i could get added wear to any of the other bearings/bushings in the
>whole front end. Also should i get the car realighned after changing the

>struts. I was told yes because the strut bearing is extended about 3-4
inches
>above what is stock.

>From the sound of it, expect to replace at minimum:
(already mentioned items, shocks/struts, strut bearings)
probably all of the motor mounts but at least one or 2.

That would make the car at least somewhat right.

Having blown shocks/struts and not replacing them wont do much in damage
to other components. What it will do is hammer the crap out of the
chassis, tweaking it and basically aging it before its time. Depending on
how long it was driven in its current condition and how abusive he drove
the car, the chassis could be dead. Im not saying it is, just putting
that info out there for you to think on.

As far as added wear in the suspension bushings, ect, the car is 14 years
old and chances are good that those are the origional bushings, ball
joints, tie rods, ect. They could probably use a replacement by now.

>Also i am still looking for decent lowering springs if anyone has any.

I have a set of Neuspeed Lowering Springs I ran for a year on my Scirocco
before swapping over to the Race springs/Konis. I was kinda hanging onto
them for a possible future project Scirocco but if you really gotta have
them I suppose I could let you have them for US$100 + shipping, FIRM.
(Well, maybe I could throw in a Scirocco-shirt too I suppose.)
Id really like to just hang onto them but I really don't see anything
soon on the horizon for another Scirocco so, might as well have somebody
get some use out of them.

Lemme know.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi