Re: 82 Rocco Oil Temp Guage......

> >  Any more than that, the need will head closer to the "RED" zone.
> > Kinda sucks that I have to keep my eye mainly on that guage whenever
> >I'm driving anywhere, and God forbid that I should approach 75 or 80
> >mph....
>
> Well, what happens when you increase to those speeds? How hot does the
> oil temp get?
>
> >  I'm very tempted to just rip the thing out !!!!!!
>
> And ignore the problem at hand? That wouldn't be in your best interest.
>
> Heres the deal, you have high oil temps while driving. What causes this?
> Well, there are a few things I can think of right off the bat, but
> basically, there is something keeping the oil from cooling adequately.
> This could be something like a gritty, dirty, grease packed engine. Even
> a thin layer of grease on the block has a "R" value of 30 or something!
> :)
>
> Also the inside of the engine could be caked with a layer of sludge.
>
> Excessive blowby in the crankcase could cause this also.
>
> Internal parts having excessive wear problems being cooled by the oil can
> add to the problem.
>
> Poor cooling system. (Blocked water jacket passageways)
>
> That's all I can think of right off the top of my head. There's alot to
> look at to try and determine what's the real problem.
> One fix you could try is adding an oil cooler. I dont think this will fix
> your problem at all but it might get you cooler oil temps until your
> ready to tackle the real problem. (A cheap temp fix plus once you redo
> the engine, you will already have the cooler for the new engine.)

 Well, the car was pretty trashed out when I bought it a few years back, and
I put a little money and time into it to make it worth driving.
 This is one car that I really actually enjoy driving....

 Probably needs engine work - I wouldn't doubt it....
 I've already replaced the entire instrument panel and a few of the gauges,
rewired and "hacked" the fuse box.

 Even installed my own headlight reminder as well as a high beam indicator
since the one in the dash doesn't work....

 Even put in a 100 mph speedo in it, but it kinda "taunted" me most of the
time since I had to keep the speed around 70 and watch my Oil temp guage...
 so I ended up taking out the speedo and putting a replacement 85 mph one
 back in since the original was broken and always indicated 10 miles below
the speed I was actually driving...

Cruise control would be nice....

 my horn works intermintently.....another project....

 so, where do I get an oil cooler and how is it installed ????