Re: 82 Rocco Oil Temp Guage......

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997 20:30:33 -0700 (PDT) Etop Udoh <eudoh@crl.com> writes:

>  Since I'm having problems with the car using or requiring the use of
> 7 - 8 quarts of oil a month, I was wondering if the accuracy of my oil
> temp guage could be affected ????

It should be fine. They hardly ever fail, at least, ive never heard of
one actually failing.

>   Average temp on the guage during highway driving is around 120 or a
> little  more if I keep it around 70...

That is kinda high (Something like 230F-250F. I dont do math.) but well
within oil temp specs.

>  Any more than that, the need will head closer to the "RED" zone.
> Kinda sucks that I have to keep my eye mainly on that guage whenever
>I'm driving anywhere, and God forbid that I should approach 75 or 80
>mph....

Well, what happens when you increase to those speeds? How hot does the
oil temp get?

>  I'm very tempted to just rip the thing out !!!!!!

And ignore the problem at hand? That wouldn't be in your best interest.

Heres the deal, you have high oil temps while driving. What causes this?
Well, there are a few things I can think of right off the bat, but
basically, there is something keeping the oil from cooling adequately.
This could be something like a gritty, dirty, grease packed engine. Even
a thin layer of grease on the block has a "R" value of 30 or something!
:)

Also the inside of the engine could be caked with a layer of sludge.

Excessive blowby in the crankcase could cause this also.

Internal parts having excessive wear problems being cooled by the oil can
add to the problem.

Poor cooling system. (Blocked water jacket passageways)

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head. There's alot to
look at to try and determine what's the real problem.
One fix you could try is adding an oil cooler. I dont think this will fix
your problem at all but it might get you cooler oil temps until your
ready to tackle the real problem. (A cheap temp fix plus once you redo
the engine, you will already have the cooler for the new engine.)

Notice I said NEW Engine up there. With all that is wrong with the
engine, all I can for see is that the engine needs to come out, be mildly
rebuilt (re-ringed, new bearings, cylinders honed, block dipped, head
rebuilt.) to freshen it up a bit. (Or buy one already rebuilt. I prefer
to do my own.)
HTH!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi