Re: Best plug for 16v Scirocco? Dyno figures? 0-60?

At 9:37 PM -0600 04/22/1997, Rack wrote:
>redepisa@juno.com wrote:
>>
>> You're better off sticking to the Bosch Platinum (i have them ) or the
>> 3-prong one.
>>
>> Always Bosch on VWs.

well, I used to think that way.  Bosch makes great stuff, but I've actually
found something better (IMHO).  There's a new company here in Boulder
making ignitions for VWs and other cars - still working on comparitive data
for the ignition itself, but I talked to the guy who runs the company,
Integrated Racing Technology, and he gave me the OK to tell you a bit about
the stuff he is doing.  Shawn has seen the ignition in its entireity, it
has been in my car for @5 months.  The ignition itself makes more power
than "stock," which was Bosch triple electrodes, Bosch wires and coil.  For
now, just the plugs, wires and coil are "ready to go."  He uses an NGK Gold
Palladium plug, then modifies the electrode, and puts a huge gap on it.  It
uses Taylor custom made wires, and a high output coil.  The coil, wires and
plugs made a big difference in idle, throttle response, and high rpm
smoothness.  The whole ignition is even better(FWIW, the ignition makes
true power on the dyno, we have numbers to back it up, I saw it, but we're
not quite ready to talk about that yet.  Gotta get dragstrip numbers first,
but I'll let you know).  Anyhow.  IMHO, the best plug for an 8v engine is
the NGK/IRT plug.

Now, you're all wondering.  I know it is not often a "VW guy" says an NGK
is the plug to have.  I paid full boat for my igniton/plugs.  My car is the
test bed, when you see the webpage, the ads in the magazines, it is my car
that the VW numbers came from.  (Guess I can't lie about how fast my car is
anymore, you're all going to know;).  The plugs are pricey - $8.53 each.
Got an unpaid bill right here.  IRT, Gary, is a friend of mine, but I have
no financial incentive to push his product - it works.  For comparison
purposes, we used 1week old tri-electrode plugs and Bosch wires, and the
coil is less than a year old, so it is not a case of new parts replacing
old - the stuff was basically new.  I used the tri electrode religously
before the IRT plugs.  I had tried the platinums, but saw a lot of them
have the shield (the white part) come loose and slide down.  Randy Walters
has had that problem.  IMHO, the Silver or T-E plugs are the Bosch plugs to
have, but the NGK/IRT are better.  I occasionally change back to the stock
setup for one reason or another, and the stock stuff runs like crap in
comparison.  Scary.  Not to say the stock stuff is *bad*, but the IRT stuff
is better.  If anyone is interested in trying the IRT plugs, let me know,
I'll see if I can get you some.  He is not interested in selling the stuff
until it is tested/proven to be better - he is a longtime racer, and
understands that claiming "more power" is useless unless you have numbers
to back it up.  I went dragracing last weekend for testing purposes, but it
was too crowded, could'nt get enough runs.  As soon as we get the numbers,
he's going to start marketing it.  Should be interesting.  So....there's my
opinion on plugs!  I'll ask him specifically about the 16v applications.  I
believe he has something going on with a 16v car, too.  I am sure this will
raise some eyebrows.....

Mannix(they really work - I was interested in the dyno day, if it had not
made power, I could have just tapped him on the shoulder and asked why I
spent all that money...no need, it really works.  Cool.)