Re: Timing questions

SNIP.

OK, here's my way of doing it(timing an engine).

1. Set engine at TDC.

2. Line up the dot on the cam pulley with the head - the dot on the engine
side.  The dot on the fender side is for that pulley's other use - the
intermediate shaft.

3. Take distributor cap off, but leave wires connected - there is a small
notch on the housing of the distributor which the rotor must point at -
this is way easier than trying to see the dot on the crank pulley/i-shaft
pulley.  The notch is typically at roughly 11pm on my car, if the
distributor is a clock.  Make sense?

4. Put belt on, rotate by hand to ensure everything is right, start, time.
I ignore the dot on the intermediate shaft, it is a pain in the ass.  I'll
get it close - there should be a dot on the ishaft pulley, but it can be
hard to see.  If the engine is at TDC, the rotor is pointed at the #1 plug,
and the cam is right, it'll work. All the notches/dot on the ishaft/crank
do is let you know when the engine is at tdc/with the ishaft in the right
place.  Basically, if the engine is at TDC, and the rotor is pointed at #1,
(the notch), the two dots on the crank/ishaft are lined up.  Different way
of doing the same thing.  Hope this helps!

Mannix