Re: Tail lights - could be fog lights

At 04:34 PM 9/17/96 -0600, you wrote:
>At 09:57 PM 17/9/96 +-200, you wrote:
>>>I believe that these spaces for bulbs are actually rear fog lights.
>>
>>My German spec Scirocco has a fog light on the driver side.  I seems to be
>even >brighter than a brake light, but maybe the lenses make it appear that
>way.  But for >the US dudes-the spot under the hazard switch and the rear
>defrost switch is where >the Euro fog light switch is.

THEN THECONFUSION SET IT...............

>Time out here.  Can someone please enlighten me as to what the hell a 'rear
>fog light' is?  I'm thoroughly confused!  I have a fog light switch on my
>dash, but I assumed it was for the front fog lights (which some idiot
>removed, but the mounts are still there).

Its simply a red fog light on most european cars. VW added a bulb to what
was normally a rear red reflector, which is required by is law on vehicles.
In europe, they have fog and rain/snow quite often (they did while my 3 year
stint in Germany) Its as simple as turning on a switch and the visability to
the rear of the car is enhanced. It amounts to nothing more than a bright
ass rear light, usually only one of them. (F1 and Indycars just recently put
them on for wet driving conditions)

>>There are other lightning differences, too.  If you park on a curb at
>night, you can >turn on your left (or right-whichever side you're parked on)
>blinker after the car is >off and the taillight and the 'dim'(no 'parking'
>lights on Euro spec) will go on so >people see your car on a dark street.
>Just thought I'd pass on some 'Gee whiz' >info...

MORE....
>Won't that drain the battery?  Cool idea though.

No since its on a very low voltage system. It drains no more electricity
than a clock. This is a great idea since most alleyways and streets in
europe are narrow and dark.
If I left any details out, im sure my euro borthers will fill you in on the
rest!!

Shawn