Hello from new Scirocco owner

Hi Guys,

        Let me start out by introducing myself. My name is Chuck Rowland and
I live in Houston, Tx. I'm a previous owner of a '88 VW Fox which I was
always quite fond of ( but had to trade in on my wifes Explorer). Well I
recently had to pick up a used car to commute the 90 miles round trip to my
job. Well after searching the VW section of the paper and looking at a
couple of abused GTI's for around $1500, I finally found my recently
purchased '84 Scirocco for $900. It is red with black leather, PW and a non
functioning sun roof. The car runs OK, has a straight body and most
importantly here in Texas a working A/C. The odometer and trip-ometer quit
working at 66,000, although the speedometer still works. The engine runs
rough at idol and above 3,000 rpm, but it is presently making my commutes
above 70 mph fine. The suspension has some problems, it makes clunking
noises when I hit bumps as small as the ones in  between lanes on the
highway, bottoms out to easily, and shakes bad above 75 mph.

        I figure to fix the front end first, replacing struts, bushings, and
ball joints and anything else i find worn under there. I would like to go
with the quality , nicer handling aftermarket suspensions. Anyone have any
suggestions on which way to go here? Where to purchase the parts? And any
special tools needed for the job?

        I hope I'm not breaking in group rules or asking a question that is
asked everyweek here. TIA and i look forward to a long time of sharing
Scirocco tips and ideas.       Chuck

p.s.  My car has two Karmann emplems mounted behind the door jams? Do these
belong? I haven't seen them on any of the pics I've looked at on the net.

Chuck (Rich) Rowland