VDO Gauges

OK, here's a cry for help to all you guys who have fitted VDO gauges to your
cars.

I've bought a set of second hand gauges from a VW breakers (unfortunately
without the senders). They've come out of an Audi and are fitted in a panel
which is exactly the same as that which you can see on Ryans page. I want to
fit them in the ashtray aperture and have bought a Zender instrument panel to
carry the gauges. This is designed to go in the radio aperture but as the holes
are the same size,  it will do the job.

My car doesn't have a gauge fitted next to the ashtray, just a blanking plate.
So here's
question one.

How much do I need to cut away (ie the divider between the ashtray and the
gauge hole) in order to make these gauges fit. Do I need to cut out the back of
the ashtray housing to feed the wires through ? What's the best way to fix the
new panel (which has no fixings itself) ? OK so that's three questions !

Question two concerns the senders for the guages. My engine is a non-injected
1800 EX with hydraulic tappets (is this a term you US boys use ?). Consequently
I don't have any of the sensors fitted as standard which will drive the gauges.
Genuine VDO senders are mighty expensive - have I any other options ?

Just for more info, the gauges I have are a voltmeter, oil temp (170 degrees C)
and an oil pressure gauge (5 bar). The voltmeter doesn't need a sender, and I
seem to have a blanking plug on top of the oil filter housing which will take
an oil temp sensor. My main problem is the pressure sender. My existing one
will just drive the buzzer, but I don't know where the best place is to site
the sender and I don't know if senders are interchangeable etc etc.

Any advice is gratefully received !

Sean Conway

(Manchester, UK, 1990 GT2)