Re: Engine swap in 82

At 10:13 AM 11/25/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Greg, I would say the simplest and cheapest way to do it would be to
>rebuilt your 1.7, bore it out to 1.8l and drop on a 1.8l head on it....
>You'll get more life than buying used, and save some money in the long
>run.....(no need to worry about incompatabilities)
>
>Eric

Id have to dissagree with you Eric. Have you priced machine shops to
rebore a 1.7L out to 1.8L specs AND buying new pistons and finding a
head? (Pistons alone cost close to $350-400 for a set!) $$$$$$$$

His swap is as simple as finding a used JH engine and putting it in his
car. No other mods are needed to make it work.

Heres what I did and what I paid:
Used JH motor. $400
Head kit: $160
Ring kit: $80 (German)
Head bolts, nuts ect.. $80
I Rebuilt the head, Honed and reringed the cylinders and Port matched
the head and both manifolds. Its a little labor intensive but a labor
of love, nontheless. Thats where I saved the most.

So for around $720 I got a hell of a screamer! Try and find a stock
rebuilt motor for that! And if you do, it wont be as good as what I
paid for mine.

Shawn