Re: Engine swap in 82

At 12:14 AM 26/11/96 -0800, you wrote:

>Id have to dissagree with you Eric. Have you priced machine shops to
>rebore a 1.7L out to 1.8L specs AND buying new pistons and finding a
>head? (Pistons alone cost close to $350-400 for a set!) $$$$$$$$
>
>His swap is as simple as finding a used JH engine and putting it in his
>car. No other mods are needed to make it work.
>
>Heres what I did and what I paid:
>Used JH motor. $400
>Head kit: $160
>Ring kit: $80 (German)
>Head bolts, nuts ect.. $80
>I Rebuilt the head, Honed and reringed the cylinders and Port matched
>the head and both manifolds. Its a little labor intensive but a labor
>of love, nontheless. Thats where I saved the most.
>
>So for around $720 I got a hell of a screamer! Try and find a stock
>rebuilt motor for that! And if you do, it wont be as good as what I
>paid for mine.
>

>Shawn

First, let me thank all of you who took the time to respond to my queston.
Great to know that all of you are out there... what a resource!

Shawn -

It looks like I'll be getting an engine from a later Fox. (1.8l, CIS, hydro
head.) Apparently, the only thing that kept this poor engine restricted was
the crappy exhaust - otherwise it is the same engine. One of the engines
that I'm lookng at has only 55000 KM on it (+- 35000miles) and I'm hopefully
going to be able to talk the guy down to $650 CDN (480 US) The car runs now,
so I'll probably wait until the Christmas break to do the swap (I get a week
and a half off work) My question is this: exactly HOW labor intensive was
the port & polish that you did? Can you give me any hints?

Eventually, I want to do all of the 'usual suspects' when it comes to
upgrades (throttle body, cam, exhaust...) but I'd like to get all of the
really ugly, messy work done at once (when I won't really need to drive the
car...)

Thanks again everyone for all your help...

Keep on Sciroccin'

Greg