Re: Engine swap in 82

You wrote:
>I have an 82 Scirocco with a tired 1.7 in it. I am looking for an
>_easy_, but not necessarily _simple_ swap to a 1.8l 8v. A few
>questions: what engine should I be looking for? CIS/CIS-E
>compatibility? What parts will I need to bring over if I get an 85GTI
>engine? How much (ballpark) will I be spending on this engine?
>
>I'm looking for some fun out of this car, so I want one of the more
>powerful engines out there, but don't have the time or finances to go
>to a 16v.
>

>All responses appreciated,
>

>Greg
>82 Scirocco
>91 Jetta

Hi Greg, welcome to the list!

The easiest swaps to do is to get an engine code JH from a Rabbit GTi
or later Scirocco. All you would need to do is change the upper
radiator hose. (Some guys simply cut their existing hose.) If you can
get the flywheel, throttle body and distributor with the engine, it
will complete the upgrade package.
If you choose to use the 10-1 GTi engine from the 85, you will need to
use the CIS-E knocksensor with it. Otherwise, you will have to retard
the timming alot to get it to run worth a crap. I know some guys who
dont use the knock sensors on the 10-1 motors and they complain about
the knock. go figure.
also try and get the flywheel, throttle body and distributor with this
engine too. The flywheel is bigger (So you can have a bigger clutch)
the throttle body is a little bigger (more airflow) and the distributor
is made for the engine. (No need to recurve it.)

Shawn

(My Eudora mailing program is down so I gotta use this shitty netcom
mail cheezer. I hate it!)