Re: Leaking (posted to r.a.vw.w, also)

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, joan wrote:
> Holidays are coming up so I need some inexpensive quick fixes.
>
> 1.) First of all, who knows what sort of  solvent  I should  use to
> rid the windshield of its coating of Armor-All?

Armor-All is an oil, try a degreaser!

> 2.) Before I start trying to fix the roof, does anyone know of any
> other source of interior leaks that are common on this year and model?

Front window seal leaks(especially bad for the fuse box!) and door seal
leaks.

> 3.)And if I have to do a quick fix on the roof, will I cause more
> trouble to myself by just trying to seal it with some silicon in order
> to get me through the winter?

Hmmm, I'll tell ya, you just might want to spend the time to fix it right
the first time!

> I've been following the thread on the heater/ac control levers. I know
> I'll have to take the dash apart and see what kind of condition the
> unit is in. Nothing can be done about that until this weekend.

As for that one, I don't know much about Mk2 roccets heating/vent
systems....Mk1's have a wire connected to the lever that opens and closes
the vents, they break alot where they connect to the lever inside the
dash.( I got so sick of replacing/fixing those levers on my 78 rabbit, I
gave up and opened/closed the vents by hand, up under the dash....)