Re: Leaking (posted to r.a.vw.w, also)

At 09:35 AM 11/20/96 -0800, you wrote....a bunch of stuff I don't know
about, and....

>2.) Before I start trying to fix the roof, does anyone know of any
>other source of interior leaks that are common on this year and model?

Hi Joan.

I've got the same car with the same problem.  I've discovered multiple
sources of leaks:

1)      Vapour seals - the plastic liner behind the door panel is the
barrier that keeps the water that runs down your window and into the  door
panel from getting into the car.  If the vapour seal is broken, missing or
detached, you'll get water - guaranteed.

   Don't try and tape it back into place - even the "watersealing" tape for
home windows doesn't work.  I'm going to try resealing mine  with heavy
plastic and a bead of good ol' silicon.  Whadaya guys think?  Will it stay
stuck and sealed?  The other option is to get a dealer to put a new OEM seal
on (read $$$).

2)      Windshield seal is going, going, gone (?).  This'll get your fuse
box and breed all kinds of gremlins.  Solution - resealed by a shop.

3)      The plastic cover under the hood that covers the computer.  If
cracked or missing, you can get water in through the opening for the fan.

4)      Sunroof drains - might be a problem to check these if your sunroof
isn't working but once the sunroof can be operated  park the car somewhere
dry and *gently* pour water into the sunroof tray while the roof is open.
Pour water on both sides of the sunroof  and you should get four little
puddles at each corner of the car.  No puddle means the drain is blocked.
Compressed Air is one possible way of clearing the drain.

5)      Door out of alignment.  My car had been in a little wreck before I
got it.  The passenger door did not close perfectly flush with the panel
behind it - the door stuck out 1/8 inch or so.  If you open the door and
look at the interior of the door frame you'll see the post that extends out
to which the door-lock mechanism latches.  That post can be loosened, moved
and retightened.  BEWARE - it moves in any direction, not just laterally.  I
marked the upper and lower position of the post on the paint of the door
frame before loosening and then moved it in.  80% of my water leak
disappeared!  :)

        There were some posts a while back about doors sagging and causing
an ineffective seal on the weatherstripping that way.  If your doors seem to
sag, there are folks on this list that have shadetree fixes for that.

Those are all of the water-leaks I've found.  If you hear of others, pass'em on.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
'85 Scirocco

cfiddes@direct.ca