Re: Rev Limiter

At 09:40 PM 11/13/96 +0500, you wrote:
>At 09:29 PM 11/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>In a message dated 96-11-13 12:37:17 EST, you write:
>>
>><< Does the '87 8v Scirocco have a rev limiter?
>>
>> Chris Taylor
>> '87 16v Scirocco >>
>>
>>Hey Chris, just curious, did you forget that your car has *16* valves instead
>>of 8?  ;-)
>
>I know you're just kidding, tim, but I want to explain my question.  My
>friend here at Va TEch, Dan Ruddick, claims he doesn't have a rev limiter on
>his '87 8v.  Then, he tells me that one day his tach was up in the 6k range
>and his whole car started bucking (obvious rev limiter trait).  Does he or
>does he not have one, based on the evidence at hand?

85 and on have the rev limiters. His should kick in at 6250 RPM. A 16V kicks
in at 7,200 rpms. There is a way to repin the computer and it will give you
a higher limit @ 6500 rpms. There is also a way to disconnect the limiter by
running a wire to 2 pins. I dont know exactly how this is done, but im sure
"Jans" web page will have a FAQ related to doing this mod.
Another way to find out is to get in his car and rev it in first gear. How
high does it go??

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi