Re: Rust repair Q's (redux)

At 07:27 AM 11/10/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey! I need some answers.  Is everybody just ignoring me?  Not even a
>snappy remark from Shawn?  Just so this isn't a total rehash, I noticed
>that the lights on the later Vanagons look a lot like the Euro,
>non-symmetrical lights for the MK 2 Sciroccos.  If they fit, they gotta be
>a lot cheaper (junked) than new ones.
>
>                        just wondering, benton------

I thought I did reply. Maybe I just thought I thought I did and, didnt?
Well, lets see what we can do here......

>>Hello all:
>>
>>        My still not running Scirocco S has a lot of rust on the rear
>>fender lip and rocker panels (and I'm scared to look at the floor with all
>>the water that's leaked in over the years.)  Anyway, can this stuff be
>>repaired with those fiberglass repair kits or should new sheet metal be
>>used?  Sorry but I'm clueless on this kind of stuff--being a unit-body, is
>>all the sheet metal welded into a single piece bodyshell or can individual
>>panels be bolted on and off?

Id stay away form the "cheap" fixes. If your gonna keep the car, id go with
replacing the infected sheet metal. Most body shops can do these fixes for
you. (If they truly have a bodyman, that is.) It could be expensive. Depends
on how much metal needs to be replaced.
Usually if you have a big enough piece of metal that needs to be replaced,
they will cut out a good section from a junked car and weld it into place.

>>        My car came with an aftermarket sunroof which leaks like crazy.
>>I've presently taped over the top to stop the water.  Is the only thing to
>>do to replace it with a larger glass sunroof?  I don't even know who made
>>this piece o' crap---no markings on it so I don't know if a replacement
>>seal is made or not.  Wish I could just weld it shut.

Id say unless you like sunroofs, replace the metal that was there to begin
with. Im not a fan of sunroofs myself, especially aftermarket ones. You
could also try and find out who the manufacture of the sunroof is and order
a gasket kit. Or, install another sunroof with the same dimensions as the
one you have in there now.

>>        The car came lowered when I bought it but the springs are very
>>stiff and short.  When the car is jacked up, the springs are fully extended
>>before the wheels leave the ground.  Is this how a cut spring will act?  I
>>guess the only good thing is that I'll never need a spring compressor.

Sounds like they have cut the stock springs. Not good mainly because if you
go over a rise or bump that unloads the suspension enough to get the springs
unbound, they could turn and not seat properly on the spring seats when your
back on terra-firma. Thats a bad thing since they could rub the tires or
worse, bind on the body. What color are the springs? (under the road dirt)
See if you can see where they were cut.

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi