Re: 16v vs. 8v

Brandon Sommerville wrote:

> At 01:33 PM 8/11/96 -0800, you wrote:
> >At 03:46 PM 11/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >>Both intake valves are open with one exhaust at low rpms?  At high rpms the
> >>other exhaust valve opens?
> >

> >No, you have it sorta backwards. The mechanics of the valves opening are the
> >same. all 16 valves will operate the same as before. What the butterfly
> >valves do are installed in front of the valve in the intake manifold side of
> >it and block 4 of the 8 intake valves at low rpm and open all 8 on higher.
> >It will act like a second throttle but for feathering the air flow to the
> >the cylinders to allow more low end power.
> >

> >Shawn
>
> I'll take one last shot at this before I give up.
>
> It opens one intake valve completely and closes the other instead of
> partially opening two of them?
>
> If this isn't it I'm gonna quietly shake my head, go out back and shoot
> myself.  ;)
>
> Brandon Sommerville

Hey you dumb person! =) that's a joke of course.  I think I can explain
it so you laymen can understand!  OK it's like this:  When the car is at
low RPMs 4 of the eight intake valves open fully until the RPMs reach 3k
and up.  At that point the other four open via the "flapper" (I know
it's some CRAZY tech term Shawn came up with but try to understand it!)
Then all eight are open and you can zoom!
Josh
Clark