Re: 16v vs. 8v

At 05:25 PM 11/8/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I'll take one last shot at this before I give up.
>
>It opens one intake valve completely and closes the other instead of
>partially opening two of them?

No, your way off. The valves are not effected. The valves open and close the
same as before. Both intake valves will open and close. This function is not
effected by the 4 butterfly valves were gonna add.  (One per cylinder.)

This will be MY last attempt to explain this system. Its quite simple,
really. I think your knowlege of 16V mechanics is lacking and this is why
your having difficulty in understanding. Dont take that as a personal slam,
I want you to understand whats going on or I wouldnt have explained it in 4
different ways already. Im just running out of descriptions is all.
8V engines have 4 intake and 4 exhaust valves. This is a 4 cylinder engine
with each cylinder getting 2 valves per cylinder. of these 2 valves, 1 valve
is for the intake and the other is the exhaust.

16V engines have 8 intake valves and 8 exhaust valves. This is a 4 cylinder
engine with each cylinder getting 4 valves per cylinder. of these 4 valves,
2 are intake and 2 are exhaust.

The problem:
16V engines have poor low end performance. They dont flow air well enough on
low rpm's due to the design of having 2 intake valves per cylinder. They do
flow alot better on higher rpm's due to the 2 valves. Its performance
advantage is on the high rpms. Its lacking performance disadvantage is on
low rpms.

The solution: (We think)
Change the low rpm airflow to each cylinder.

How we do this is by adding to the intake manifold a set of butterfly valves
(Like what you see inside a carbuertor or throttle body. It opens and closes
ect.) We place one butterfly valve on one cylinder. its job is to close off
the airflow to one of the 2 valves. The other valve will not be effected by
it and will flow air as it has before. As rpm's increase, the valves will
slowly open with the increase of engine rpm's until it's fully open and the
full benefit of having a 16v are used.
So essentially, you will have an 8V engine intake system for low RPM's to
have the low end torque. Then once yuove gotten the engine up to where the
16V motor's advantage comes into play, you have it. It would be th best of
both 8V & 16V worlds.
I hope that got it.

>If this isn't it I'm gonna quietly shake my head, go out back and shoot
>myself.  ;)

Hopefully I saved a life today!

Is anybody else having problems understanding? Or am I just an idiot?
DONT ANSWER THAT!!  :)-

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi