Re: 16v vs. 8v

>No, your way off. The valves are not effected. The valves open and close the
>same as before. Both intake valves will open and close. This function is not
>effected by the 4 butterfly valves were gonna add.  (One per cylinder.)
>
>This will be MY last attempt to explain this system. Its quite simple,
>really. I think your knowlege of 16V mechanics is lacking and this is why
>your having difficulty in understanding. Dont take that as a personal slam,
>I want you to understand whats going on or I wouldnt have explained it in 4
>different ways already.

Hey, don't worry.  As I said before I am mechanically challenged!  :)

Im just running out of descriptions is all.
>8V engines have 4 intake and 4 exhaust valves. This is a 4 cylinder engine
>with each cylinder getting 2 valves per cylinder. of these 2 valves, 1 valve
>is for the intake and the other is the exhaust.
>
>16V engines have 8 intake valves and 8 exhaust valves. This is a 4 cylinder
>engine with each cylinder getting 4 valves per cylinder. of these 4 valves,
>2 are intake and 2 are exhaust.

That part I knew and understood.

>The problem:
>16V engines have poor low end performance. They dont flow air well enough on
>low rpm's due to the design of having 2 intake valves per cylinder. They do
>flow alot better on higher rpm's due to the 2 valves. Its performance
>advantage is on the high rpms. Its lacking performance disadvantage is on
>low rpms.
>
>The solution: (We think)
>Change the low rpm airflow to each cylinder.
>
>How we do this is by adding to the intake manifold a set of butterfly valves
>(Like what you see inside a carbuertor or throttle body. It opens and closes
>ect.) We place one butterfly valve on one cylinder. its job is to close off
>the airflow to one of the 2 valves. The other valve will not be effected by
>it and will flow air as it has before. As rpm's increase, the valves will
>slowly open with the increase of engine rpm's until it's fully open and the
>full benefit of having a 16v are used.

But isn't this reducing airflow at lower rpms?  Or is that how the power is
gained?  My assumption was that the 2 intake valves on the 16v were each a
little smaller than the 8v valve.  Is that where my mistake is?

>So essentially, you will have an 8V engine intake system for low RPM's to
>have the low end torque. Then once yuove gotten the engine up to where the
>16V motor's advantage comes into play, you have it. It would be th best of
>both 8V & 16V worlds.
>I hope that got it.
>

>>If this isn't it I'm gonna quietly shake my head, go out back and shoot
>>myself.  ;)
>

>Hopefully I saved a life today!

I'm barely holding on.  But I won't get your answer till Monday.  :(

>Is anybody else having problems understanding? Or am I just an idiot?
>DONT ANSWER THAT!!  :)-
>

>Shawn

Brandon Sommerville

"And then I says, tell me I'm wrong! And she says, I can't baby, 'cause
you're not!"
 - The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight